Basic Diesel Generator Maintenance
Any generator set used for emergency or primary source must have periodic service and maintenance performed.The correct maintenance of diesel generator is the key to prolong the service life and reduce the cost of diesel generator.However there are some things that you can do to reduce the chance of problems when you need your gen set to work.
How to maintain diesel generator? The useful tips are as follows:
CHECK (DAILY MAINTENANCE)
1. Cleaning — Clean engine and premises.
2. Checking of engine oil level. — Check engine oil level before starting the engine, top-up if required. It should be between H and L mark of dipstick
3. Checking of coolant system — Check coolant level in radiator, top-up if required with premix coolant. Check belt condition.
4. Checking of fuel system — Check fuel strainer, clean breather on fuel tank, Drain sediments/water from fuel water separator. Fill up the fuel tank at the end of each working day.
5. Checking of air system — Check vacuum indicator for air restriction (red band). Check sealing and condition of air filter.
Regular Start-Ups: Implement a monthly generator test schedule. It will enable you to test for generator faults and make sure that systems and people are all ready to to their jobs. Check the battery and replace it if there are any signs of deterioration.
Exhaust system inspection: In case there are leaks along the exhaust line which usually occurs at the connection points, the welds and the gaskets; they should be repaired immediately by a qualified technician.